[Harp-L] Re: death of live music?

I too have seen this trend happening more and more over the last 10 years
.when I was in Cape Cod, MA, Daytona Beach, FL and now here in Long Island,
NY. Many of the main factors have already been mentioned... DUI & smoking
laws especially.but there is more to it than that..as the baby boomers get
older the wallets get tighter. a night out can get expensive and even more
if you add in the babysitter factor. Staying home with modern hi-tech
surround sound is a viable alternative for many. ..now the younger
folks.they didn't grow up with the live music thing like we did. They don't
have the same thirst for live in this digital age. It has always been and
will always be a matter of economics. Too many musicians giving it away for
cheap or free doesn't help either.much less club owners that poorly market
their establishments. The DJ & karaoke thing is the cheap and easy way out.
In most areas there are a few clubs that "get it" and do what it takes to
hire and promote good shows but they are. as we have been discussing. far
and few between.

I think the time has passed for the clubs to be the answer for staying busy
and making a decent buck.I think self promotion pushing for the private and
corporate parties are financially the best bet. The boomers are still
dropping cash for special occasions ..40th, 50th, 60th birthdays,
anniversaries etc. You have to put together a nice "package", market hard
and put on a good show.then make sure that everyone that attends those
events goes home with great memories and something that has all of your
contact info on it..many of those people will have special occasions in the
future.I think it is a lot easier to network at a private affair than at a
club. Too many distractions..not as captive of an audience. The nice thing
about private gigs is better hours, good food and usually a more attentive
audience in a universally good mood (especially if the band is doing it
right).

These are just my thoughts from past experience.I must admit.I haven't had
the right band situation in a few years to put it all into practice again.

W Bee