Re: [Harp-L] death of live music?

All good points, and though I haven't been around the "scene" as much as
some of you folks, I can at least intone on the Cincinnati Blues
scene..........which is pretty bad.  There is a supply and demand problem.
There are way too many good musicians in town, and fewer and fewer places
who are hiring blues bands.  If you're a cover band, or a dance band, you're
in the money.   But go to a blues jam in town, and you'll find them loaded
with good players...cause they aint gonna get to play out nowhere else....

Then again, supply and demand goes to the club owners, too. They need people
in the seats, on the dance floor, and at the bar...until closing.  I've
played a number of gigs lately that followed this pattern:  Place packed and
jumping for the first set - and nearly empty the rest of the night. I don't
think it's the band's fault. So whose is it.....?

How's this for a reason:  the age of Blues fans is the problem.  All of
those folks who got in to the Blues boom of the late 60's-early '70s are
nearing or past retirement age.  They're not slamming beers all night long.
They don't stay much after midnight. The local Blues society here is
primarily populated with folks over 45.  Good people, loyal fans and
supporters, but not the target demographic for club owners. At 36 I am a
baby compared to most folks at any blues show or blues society event.

So, I'd like to think that somewhere out there are blues-influenced bands
that are pulling in the 21-30 crowd in big numbers.  And if not, I hope that
someone starts to do so soon.

- Blake