[Harp-L] Best tuner

I second what Trip said. If you can, get a strobe tuner. The needle doesn't jump at all, because there is no needle. There is a strobe disc. If you are sharp, the disk appears to move clockwise, and the sharper you are, the faster it appears to move. When you are in tune, the disc appears to stand stock still. If you are flat, the disc appears to rotate counterclockwise. These are the absolute best machines for fine tuning and for working on intonation. Amazingly, a true strobe tuner (but not the newer "virtual strobes") will show not only the in-tuneness of the fundamental, but also the harmonics.

If you can afford to buy new:

www.petersontuners.com

Brass and Woodwind (a link may be on Peterson's site, or try Google) often discounts them, but they're still pricey. Then, there's always eBay.

I have had a Peterson 590 for years, and it rocks.

George