Re: Re: [Harp-L] Need to buy a tuner (was New Hering Diatonic Harp?)

Joe Leone wrote:
> I have a 16 year old Seiko st1000. $95 samoleons. I think it's
> too sensitive.  Find something that has a 'damper' in it (in
> much the same way that a drug scale has a damper to keep it
> from swinging wildly).

I have a Korg OT-12 that has an analog needle, and some interesting
features like a tone generator and a "sound bacK" feature that will
detect the closest incoming note and play it back in perfect pitch.
Of course, it's calibration is adjustable, and the scale is
graduated in both Hz and cents.  But to Smo's point above, it has
a "fast/medium/slow" response setting that can help keep it from
bouncing all over the place.

One thing I always do it set the note I'm looking for (rather than
letting it auto-detect), and also to use the contact mic to prevent
spurious sounds from interfering with the response.

-tim