RE: [Harp-L] remark on the XB

By the way. I have just bought two XB40-s. They are
still plain crap out of the box. But after sealing
them fully they are great, apart from hole nr 10. THey
are not worth the price, but cool to practice and do
funny things with :-)

I'll chime in to support Zombor to an extent. I have two XB40s, in G and low D, and they stay in their boxes as I reach for my SP20s and Lee Oskars. They both needed much work, including un-gapping the auxiliary reeds (which really shouldn't have been necessary) and retuning out-of-tune reeds (and I know all about intermediate tunings, etc.) before they were even remotely playable, and the low D still has a very "stiff" top end (hole 7 up) that has defeated my tinkering attempts to put right. I'm sure that such quality control issues have been taken on board by Hohner as they've been expressed before and that more recent instruments are better (mine are over two years old). But I find them to be pretty unlovable beasts even when they're playing like they should. They don't get talked about much on Harp-l recently either, do they?

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm

Txt a lot? Get Messenger FREE on your mobile. https://livemessenger.mobile.uk.msn.com/