Subject: Re: Re: [Harp-L] But when it comes right down to it,,

It's also amusing to notice how those of us who responded to a  poster's
seeming indictment of ALL of today's modern players as  lacking the soul of
yesterday's old masters -   harmonica  players in particular, are now  indicted as
being "defensive,  insecure and even subtley (sic) antagonistic".  It couldn't
be,  could it... that we simply find the poster wrong in his  conclusions? <G>

The writer omitted to mention that his original post referenced  another post
[both included  below]which specifically mentioned "the harp player"   and
was, therefore, not generic at all as he insists,  but instead a post  which
necessitated responses providing the truth about  today's harmonica players by
those of us who know these people  personally or have actually attended their
shows and concerts, bought  their CD's and learned from their seminars... so
perhaps have just a tad more knowledge than the writer  about the originality of
the voices of these modern harmonica players  ...

...rather than some dry supposition by a group of  panelists at  a Jazz
symposium who perhaps hadn't heard nor yet been exposed to the  musicians discussed
here on Harp-L...living, breathing, real-life, soulful  musicians who most
assuredly DO have their own Original  Voices.

Did Paul DeLay have "an original voice"?  Do Michel Herblin,  Curtis Salgado,
Joe Filisko, Chris Michalek, Dennis Gruenling, Jason  Ricci, Peter "MadCat"
Ruth, PT Gazell, Olivier Ker Ourio, Robert  Bonfiglio, Richard Hunter have
"original  voices"? Does Howard Levy have THE most definitively  original of the
"Original  Voices"?  Abso........
                                             ..... lutely!

(and these are only a few of those I can personally speak  to).

 Anyone who thinks these and other harmonica artists don't  have their own
uniquely original voices today, and that they all aren't  growing in leaps and
bounds with each new song, instrumental composition,  Album, show, gig,
teaching seminar....has been living in a  time  warp/bubble and not spending enough
real time getting out to  hear these artists on a continuing basis since none
of them have been  wasting time resting on their respective laurels for the
last half-dozen years or so.

 While there certainly are musical clones out there...there are  enough gems
to be found among the dross.  If YOU haven't heard them,  then you are simply
not listening closely enough.

What on earth is going on with this lemming-like "me  too-ing" attitude of
tarring every Blues and jazz  player today with the same brush as if there
aren't a hundred or  perhaps even a thousand others who don't also fit that "break
out of  the box"/ "break down the barriers" mold?  Here's a link to a list of
 performers participating in the upcoming Springing the Blues,  Jacksonville,
Florida Festival sent to me by a friend.  Sure wish I  could get there, since
this lineup sure sounds like a wealth of quite  original voices:  _Click
here:  George's Music Springing the Blues Festival - Performers_
(http://www.springingtheblues.com/performers.cfm)

How elitist and arrogant it seems to me (purely  in my most humble opinion,
of course) for a bunch of academicians  in the jazz field, whether musicians
themselves or  not... to conclude that an artist of today,  especially in Blues
or Jazz, doesn't have the same level of  talent as an earlier musician.  Did
they spare a thought  that perhaps it's purely due to them either not yet
having  been "discovered" or being forced to earn a living outside of  Blues and
Jazz (since we all know just how "highly" both those genres  pay)... rather than
starving for his/her art?

 Formal education, rather,  has been the major change  in this country...and
why people don't have the freedom to pursue their  muse as easily as they did
years earlier, when the same emphasis  wasn't placed upon the Holy Grail of a
College Degree.   Even a High School Education wasn't as compulsory in the
early part of the  20th Century, so a youngster who had musical talent then could
with less  restrictions follow that road, difficult as it may have been.  How
 blind are these academicians to not see the difference between  Real life
then and now, and not recognize other factors beyond their own  seemingly very
narrow scope of "blaming the artist"...

...the next Charlie Parker or Miles Davis might be outside, down  the
street.... playing his heart out while some elitist snobs  are inside a Hotel at a
symposium yattering about the whys  and wherefores....

.....never realizing that when those old masters starved for their  art due
to the businessmen who so often took advantage of them,  taking the biggest
piece of the monetary pie...leaving the artist  who'd created the work with a
mere pittance, how is that any different  from the same type of businessmen
controlling the music industry  nowadays?  The music business today is merely
reaping the seeds of  its past.

The change in attitude is that today's artists now demand (and  rightly so)
some small protection from the  chicanery visited  upon earlier artists, as
well as some small recompense for their hard  work.  Why shouldn't they?  Why
should someone with no  connection to creation of the music get rich off someone
else's art,  while the author of it can barely pay their rent?

And what on earth does being paid a decent wage for your  art, and expecting
some small measure of respect have  anything at all to do with having "soul"?

Absolutely nothing.

One thing most people DO know about Miles Davis is  that he demanded
respect...

Elizabeth

(the original post which those of us who commented were  referencing:

"Message: 3