Re: [Harp-L] Re: Difference Tones

From: "jazmaan@xxxxxxxxxxx" Monday, February 19, 2007
Dave, you asked why that website recommends avoiding difference tones. You also said that you
used an ET harp for your examples, and acknowledged that there is "some dissonance" in the
difference tones from an ET harp. I think the point of that article was that if you use a JI
harp, the difference tones are sweet and not dissonant at all. It only takes a little
experimentation with both harps (I tried a Lee Oskar vs a Hering Vintage) to see how much better
the JI difference tones sound.

Well, I got a Hering Vintage in A, thanks for the suggestion.

The more I play it, the more I like the sound. I like plastic combs for their durability, etc. and it has wood, along with the protruding reed plates that goes with wood. I notice that Hering make a "black" harp that is also JI, with slightly thinner reed plates. Does anyone know how they compare in sound? I don't think that combs contribute to sound since their vibration is trivial, but the harps are different in other ways too. If they sound about the same, they might be better for me. But then I do like the Vintage harp.

Peace and music,
Dave