Re: Re: Subject: Re: Re: [Harp-L] But when it comes right down to it, ,

I'll stand by my original response.  I was referring to musicians in
general as well, and only offered harmonica players as an example of
one type of musician who most likely was in it for their personal
experience, rather than trying to "cash in".  After all, this is
ostensibly a harmonica discussion list.

Certainly there are the Ashley Simpsons of the world, who see fame
as a foregone conclusion, as her handlers hunt and peck for the
right formula -- in the absence of actual talent -- to sell her to
the public.  But for every one of those there are hundreds or
thousands of others who play for the love of it.  Many of them are
immensely talented, and audiences who find them love them.

Yeah, lots of people immitate people like Miles Davis and Stevie Ray
Vaughn -- not to mention Little Walter and Paul Butterfield --
because what these musicians did touched people.  After all, that's
what they set out to do.  Some grow beyond immitation to find there
own voice.  Some don't.

I had a chance last weekend to sit in with Guy Forsyth, an
incredible singer, songwriter, guitarist, harmonica player, and all-
around nice guy.  Talk about an original.  He was playing a double
bill later that night with Ruthie Foster, another incredibly soulful
musician (I had the pleasure of playing with Ruthie fairly regularly
about 10 years ago).

But if you want to find the original voice you just have to get your
ass out from in front of the TV set or the Clear Channel Radio and
see who's still got enough balls to get out there and beat their
head against it every weekend.  The voice is out there, it's just
drowned out by the volume of the industry machine.

Please excuse me now, I have a gig tonight I have to prepare for.
I'm already planning how I'll spend my $50.  Maybe a breakfast
buffet with the family on Sunday morning...

-tim