Re: [Harp-L] But when it comes right down to it,,

I think that as band got larger and personnel changed more frequently,
the intertwining thing, delightful though it is, became unworkable. It
requires a small ensemble who have the time (or the instantaneous and
unlearnable compatibility) to develop musical communication. Otherwise
it just turns to a tangle of competing noise.

I don't think it requires that much communication to play blues -- you should be able to fit in with any ensemble. I just think the music falls flat when half the musicians drop out. When you have a guitar and harmonica only (with bass and drums) and the harmonica drops out for the guitar solo, the music is thin sounding. The harmonica has to stay in the mix playing backup to keep the music sounding full. That's just my opinion, based on recordings that sound full to me compared to live shows that are often weak sounding.

Tom