[Harp-L] OK,,now I'll try adding the link,,hehe,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omZnrHp2YX4

I thoroughly enjoyed listening to this clip, and now I'm going to make an overblown critique:

I think the harpman (Hugh Feely?) is doing a good job, maybe too good a job. He's a bit overplaying maybe, but maybe not. It seems he could take a break once in a while, but he doesn't. The song has a laid back, lazy delta feel, by nature, but doesn't quite get laid back enough, what with the harp player trying to fill every available space and all.

I still like it, but I think in some ways this is the situation too often,,not knowing when NOT to play, being too anxious for one's "moment" in the spotlight. Granted, the guy has nice tone and all, and great licks, but maybe he could take a lesson from some of the old blues artists, who did NOT fill every available gap with harp virtuosity.

I think the greatest art, in whatever form, is best expressed when the artist knew when to stop.

I like the mood music creates. Not just the impression left by the performers. Too often music is just a vehicle used to create personal appreciation for needy people. Hence, the need for repetitive mentioning of names, bows taken, etc.

Sometimes people need to step aside, and let the music speak for itself. This performance was close, but didn't win the cigar, IMO.

Thank you,,thank you,,(huge applause sound here)
Bob Laughlin, sharp-ass critic, wisely discerning between good and bad,,hehe,,

Ahhh,,opinions,,"___________", we all have 'em.

My apologies to "Hugh Feely"(?) for having used him as a vehicle for my opinion.