[Harp-L] Roadhouse Blues - Sidetrip

This is a total sidetrip from the discussion about when John Sebastian cut his part on the Morrison Hotel album, knowledge of which I do not have. But I have a story about making that album that may be of value to people making records.

I know Ray Neapolitan who played bass on that record, and a billion others. He now works for Joe Cocker in a management capacity. He told me that the Doors had Morrison Hotel pretty much arranged when the sessions began. They recorded the album. Then they recorded it again. And again, and again. For nearly a year.

Ray told me that the arrangements never really changed much from beginning to end, they were hoping for The Magic to emerge on a take here and there. He told me it was the hardest gig he ever had to do, high paid repetitive labor. He said the early takes were as good as what came later.

Unlike the earlier records, I don't go back to it ever.

This is not to argue that you shouldn't try a few retakes, or even more than a few if the magic hasn't emerged. Perhaps it is to say that even if you're the Doors you might try mixing it up when the goods are just laying there sleeping.