[Harp-L] Subject: Re: Best Harmonica Songs Ever! (Orange Blossom Special - Charlie McCoy)

Yeah, I took a little license, Garry (lol).....but it was worth it to  see
that video again (which I posted here some time ago)....one of my very
favourite harmonica videos to watch -
...Charlie McCoy is astonishing...Thanks, RLaughlin  ...much  obliged....
and I truly enjoy Winslow's getting to the heart of some of those  fiddle
pieces' origins..

"About this song:

Johnny Cash: [in a 1994  'Life Magazine' interview]

"I recorded 'Orange Blossom Special' in  the mid '60s,
and in those days everybody that recorded it  claimed
the "arrangement" because no one knew who wrote it.
But  Mother Maybelle Carter was at the session, and
I asked her, "Do you  know who really wrote 'Orange
Blossom Special'?" She said, "Sure I do.  Ervin Rouse
and his brother Gordon." And I said, "Where are  they?"
She said, "Last time I heard, they were in  Florida......"

Which kind of bears up  with the premise that no one knew of its origins...so
 Charlie McCoy may have had absolutely no idea when he recorded his
harmonica take of it in 1969 which is still an incredibly mind  blowing harmonica
version of what was generally considered to be  "the" country fiddle song.

Then there's this link which gives the entire story with an audio of  a
British fiddle group playing the song
......I love how it all comes full circle.

_Click  here: ORANGE BLOSSOM SPECIAL : Orange Blossom Special lyrics &
history_ (http://web.ukonline.co.uk/pdcmusic/orange-blossom-special.html#FREE)

Elizabeth

http://www.aol.com.