Re: [Harp-L] Beginner gear?

rickindavis@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

<I saw those Johnson Laraedo tube amps  yesterday. I wondered about them
<too. The thing about the Epiphone amp is I like  the idea of having onboard
<affects as well as tubes. Anybody have any experience  with these amps. I am on
<a very tight budget right now but working with a guitar  player finally on my
<originals and cover blues tunes, so's I'm gonna need  something very soon.
<There's a 25 watt Epiphone tube amp on E Bay in Mount  Sterling KY, I could
<get my cousin to go look at it I suppose. No effects but  more power than the new
<one I was talking about yesterday. The guy wants like  265 for it. Can those
<tubes be upgraded on any of these amps?

Tubes can be changed or upgraded on any amp that's got tubes. The typical swap for harp is to replace a 12AX7 preamp tube with a 12AY7.  However, the big question is: do YOU like the way the amp sounds?  Ultimately, if a piece of gear makes a sound that inspires you, it's good gear for you; if it doesn't make a sound that inspires you, it's not the gear you want.  Every player has a different sound in mind, so it's not a slam-dunk question.  Some people whose opinions I respect have tried the 5 watt Epiphone amps and loved them; I didn't like the one I tried at all.  Lee Oskar's idea of great-sounding gear is radically different from most players's (as per Lee's Pro Page at my website, http://hunterharp.com/loskar1.html).

For people who don't have time or inclination to run around trying amps, I recommend buying from a place like Musician's Friend (musiciansfriend.com), American Musical Supply (americanmusical.com), or any of the other online retailers who have a no-questions-asked 45-day or better return policy.  That way, you can buy the gear, try the gear, and return it if you don't like it, and you're only out the $10 or so it costs for return postage. Prices at these stores tend to be about as good as you can get, too, give or take a few bucks on any given day.

I have used this guarantee on more than one occasion with musiciansfriend.com (remember my comments about the Epiphone amp?), and I can vouch for it.  Especially if you live in a place where there isn't a full-service store in the neighborhood, it's a good way to check out the new stuff.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
latest mp3s always at http://www.broadjam.com/rhunter