[Harp-L] Hummel, Wilson, Musselwhite recent shows equipment FYI

A few observations from some recent shows -- FYI

This past week I saw Mark H's Blowout in Tallahassee and the next night in Orlando, also saw Mark in Gainesville one night without Kim/Charlie.

Equipment: Mark is using the Meteor with no effects, just his JT-30 mic - sounds incredible - the throw of the amp is amazing, in that, the entire band was mic'd at the first gig, but not the Meteor.  Yet, you could stand
way back in the crowd and hear every note from Mark clearly and powerfully.  I'm really impressed with the Meteor.  Mark's band, the Blues Survivors, were excellent also, with special guest Rusty Zinn.

Kim was using Mark's Meteor linked with Kim's Fender Concert amp.  The Concert amp he has been using for some time (I saw him play it in Austin in October, by itself with no other linked amps).  Kim is presently playing an Astatic T-3 (vintage) which sounded great also, and has a smaller diameter for a better seal.

Charlie began using a small Fender amp the first night but it sounded weak, and too midrangey.  The next day he met Brian Purdy of Harpgear amps and heard/purchased one of Brian's new 30 watt amps and Brian's JT-30.  Sounds great also.  Charlie played the amp/mic the entire night and I believe the Harpgear amp will be his amp of choice for the tour.  He was really excited and happy about the sound.  Those of you who go to see the blowout duing the next few weeks should check out Charlie's new amp.  Again, as a disclosure, I am a friend of Brian's but the amp does sound great.  We did a blind A/B/C/D test with my 410, 2 Fender Reissues, and the Harpgear 30 watt (recorded each on separate tracks with a drum track, then listened back to the tracks, but did not know which amp was which).  The Harpgear and the 410 won out, with the reissues a distant 3rd and 4th place, respectively.

In any case, if you get a chance to see the blowout, GO!

Thanks also to Denise for setting up the show in Gainesville, and to the Iceman in Orlando for coordinating
the event there so that many of us could see some great playing.  Both events were well organized and
well attended.

Mike
Gainesville