Re: [Harp-L] Air Harmonica?

Good job the 'chute opened then ;-)
Rick
in NZ
(snip)

(I never thought I'd jump into a thread on "air harmonica".)

This reminds me of an idea I had recently that I'm sure others have thought of or maybe even implemented.

I've seen a guitar practice thingy that is essentially the business parts of the guitar but it makes no sound. I could practice keyboard with the power turned off. Drummers...($#!@ drummers) can practice quietly on a practice pad...(that's a subjective "quietly", there is no such thing as a quiet drummer). Horn players can practice with a mute. [Insert mute joke here.]

My idea was for a quiet practice harmonica. My first thought was one in which the reeds were absent, but having a harp with a missing reed, the lack of resistance just doesn't feel the same. Is it possible to emulate the resistance, the feel of playing without the sound? It seems feasible.

So who has had this same idea before me, who has actually tried implementing it, and at what level of success?

Jonathan "going to search the archives now" Compton

Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 14:47:42 +0000> From: wmharps@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx> Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Air Harmonica?> > jazmaan wrote:> > If I hold my hands in saxophone position and whistle, I can > > play "air saxophone" correctly fingering scales and arpeggiating > > chords. I just realized I don't have any equivalent mental> > simulation for harmonica. Can any of you do it? Is it easier > > to play "air chromatic" than "air diatonic"?> > I remember a story a couple of years ago regarding Chris Michalek > flying to the SPAH convention, sitting on the plane holding the > harmonica up to his mouth but blowing over the top of the holes, so > that it made no sound. After that I started using a similar > technique in situations where I didn't want to be heard playing, > except that I draw and blow VERY lightly through the harp, not hard > enough to make a sound. I found that it wasn't too hard > to "audialize" (the audio equivalent of "visualize") what notes > would be coming from the harp. It's a little tougher integrating > the overblows, but it's great for a little practice time in a > situation where it might otherwise not be possible.> > -tim> > > > _______________________________________________> Harp-L is sponsored by SPAH, http://www.spah.org> Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx> http://harp-l.org/mailman/listinfo/harp-l_______________________________________________
Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx