[Harp-L] standards

I've never fully understood the concept of jazz standards. I'm a song writer
and playing standards always seemed like being a cover band. My daughter
just gave me a copy of Thelonius Monk plays Duke Ellington and it is
wonderful. Giving me a lot of harmonica ideas. 1 Monk plays the melody--a
little reminder that I can just play the melody. 2. I love that staccato
phrasing. I'm going to try playing with a percussive attack. 3 He has a way
of adding quick little fills--flashy but tasteful then right back to the
music. I have got to learn a few quick runs to stick in between the phrases
(Little Walter could do this so well).. 4 He is not afraid to leave a lot
of space. The piano might play a single note, might not play anything.5 his
sense of timing and beat. Man I don't think I'll ever be able to get close
to that.

I don't play jazz but there's a lot to learn from any good musician and Monk
is one of the greatest.

--
Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com