[Harp-L] plagarism

Walter-

Thanks for your post concerning copyright law. I'll abandon the idea that the artist could have infringed on Little Walter and Sonny Boy II, then. The publishing rights to the Chess Records blues songs are held by the Goodman Group, so Walter and Sonny Boy did probably record the songs as works for hire, if contracts were ever signed, that is (I'm not aware of what the Chess Brothers' exact business practices were here).

As to the matter of the transitve verb "to plagarize," quoted below, the definition of plagarism clearly extends beyond the realm of writing. By this definition, then, the artist I mentioned seems to have committed plagarism.
Not nice.

transitive verb : to steal and pass off (the ideas or words of another) as
one's own : use (another's production) without crediting the source
intransitive verb : to commit literary theft : present as new and original
an idea or product derived from an existing source

And for what it's worth, when I get onstage and play a harp solo, I try to play something I've both never heard or played before. Sometimes this works better than others, and it's really hell during the last set of a gig if I'm tired. But that's the only way I can keep my edge.

-Glenn Weiser