[Harp-L] Re: Plagarism

Message: 7
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 15:13:51 -0400
From: "Peace_Tolero" <celtiac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] plagarism
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

Does that mean every time I do a third-string bend up to the 2nd string and
then high E at the nut of my strat, I am plagiarizing Clapton?  Or when I
double-string bend 2nd and 3rd strings at the 8th and 9th frets, I'm
plagiarizing Chuck Berry?

Sheesh!

I was unaware that Little Walter and Sonny Boy had copyrighted their riffs.
Damn!

PEACE
Scott
Believe in Magic!

Scott-

I'm not talking about taking a riff from somewhere. Everybody takes riffs, and even copyright laws lets you take, I think 4 bars from a song for use a quote.
I talking about taking entire classic blues harp solos note for note and splicing them into other songs with no attribution.
I once told Carey Bell that I had written out 70 Little Walter solos (the book is still unpublished after many years). He asked if I could play Juke. I played some of it for him. Then he asked if I played Little Walter's solos onstage. I said, no, I tried to improvise my own thing. He approved and said that was the right idea.
Personally, I frown on what this current artist is doing. Whether or not it's a copyright violation is probably a gray area, but I think it's artistically dishonest in any case.

-Glenn