[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 46, Issue 67

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 10:34:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: Garry Hodgson <garry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re: [Harp-L] To Gear Or Not To Gear
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

"Splash" <celtiac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

And I say, when talking about amplifiers, you can't get great tone without
great tubes.

sorry, that's just not true. i might have agreed, not knowing better, until i
saw james cotton last fall. he played through a regular vocal mic into the
PA, and sounded amazing.

which is not to say that gear doesn't have its own contribution to make.
but absolutes like "you can't" are incorrect.

I think Splash might have been saying you can't get great amplified tone with great tubes.You can certainly get great acoustic tone
through a vocal mic/PA, and I don't think there's any serious doubt about that here. In fact, there is a Big Walter recording of "Careless Love"
played ascoutic that has the best harmonica tone I've ever heard on any recording ever. In bar 8 of the solo he hits the whole step bend on the
3-draw reed-a notoriously difficult note-and just nails the tone with a full, gorgeous vibrato.

Glenn Weiser
http://www.celticguitarmusic.com/harppage.htm