Re: [Harp-L] To Gear Or Not To Gear

On Jun 29, 2007, at 10:34 AM, Garry Hodgson wrote:

"Splash" <celtiac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

And I say, when talking about amplifiers, you can't get great tone without
great tubes.

sorry, that's just not true. i might have agreed, not knowing better, until i
saw james cotton last fall. he played through a regular vocal mic into the
PA, and sounded amazing.

Hear hear. I had a similar experience watching James Cotton earlier this year. He blew through the house PA and whatever mic they had. It was humbling to say the least. Indeed, I think that gear often becomes a distraction. It's a lot easier to say, "If only I had a set of Filisko harps or a big bucks boutique amp I'd sound like my idols" as opposed to, "I should have practiced more for the last 10 years." In the interest of full disclosure, I've spent some $$$ on gear in the last few years but truthfully none of this stuff would've done me much good at all 10 years ago. It's only now that I can come close to utilizing what my Sonny Jr has to offer or my Joe Spiers harps. But I am a slow learner.

Bob

Bob Cohen
Principal, MojoTools Web Design
Blues Harmonica Lessons