To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 4:21 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: My Harp Case

Hi all
I've been using a nice aluminum case with precut foam for like seven or eight years now. The foam is precut in little square blocks, so that one can take off those necessary to configure the thing to his own taste. Mine has two levels, and in the lower one you can easily accomodate different accessories (mic clip, mic plug adapters, etc.). You can take a look at the thing here: http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e267/bluesharp/MicsAndAmps/Maletin.jpg. As you can see I carry 14 10-hole diatonics, plus a larger 12-hole diat, a large 16-hole chro and a smaller 10-hole one, plus two bullet mics, a SM58 in case I have to mic the amp or play acoustic, a couple of cables and an emergency repairing toolkit. I don't really need more than that for a gig, but I can easily put a couple extra harps and a Slim-X together with the cables. And in any case, since the foam is fully adaptable, one can cut it so that it holds more harps and less other stuff. The brand is Spanish (Kitther, if I remember well, but I'm sure there must be other brands manufacturing that kind of products). It's rough and dependable (I've sat on my case too many times, I've walked under the rain with it so many others, and who knows what else...) and for me it has a very nice compromise between size and needs coverage.

I also have a couple of belts made by Brazilian maker Jacki Velo, one for 7 and another for 12 (diat). They're really good and recommendable, though I don't really use them as belts, but more like light backpacks when I go to jams (7) or to some acoustic gigs (12) where there's already a PA and mics. The 12 one can also hold a 16 chrom inside together with them, as it closes up with a zipper and there is just enought room for it.

I discovered recently the Plano products Dave mentions, and I got me the coolest 7 harp case I've yet seen: if you check Plano website, look for item 3283. It's a medium size fly box filed under Accessories/Small Speciality Boxes, and it happens to be the *exact* size to hold 7 diatonics tightly together. Ideal for short trips, jams, etc...Just pack it in your bag...For the Euro folks, you can get Plano products in Decathlon stores...;)

Anyway, those are my two cents on the subject...:) As it happens with harps, amps or mics, when it comes to getting a harp case, go for that that best suits your specific needs...

Best regards,

David