Subject: [Harp-L] classical seminar at SPAH

Well, Hello Grizz...finally came out of hibernation on Slidemeister, did
you? ;)
<G>

You'll find quite a few of the same chromatic players post/lurk on  both
harp-l and Slidemeister, but probably more who are on this list play  both
diatonics as well as chromatics.  We can actually call them what they  are here
instead of using pseudonyms, lol..

Wish you luck with the Seminar.  I'm positive there will be  interest..since
SPAH is loaded with chromatic players..but I get  the feeling quite a lot of
them don't post online, or belong to  harmonica lists.  I'm sure if you have a
notice of your
Seminar available on arrival people will be signing up, but then they won't
have the materials preparation....unless you send out flyers to the membership
 ahead of time?  Just a thought....

Elizabeth

"My first SPAH, my first post here!

I'm giving a seminar at SPAH  this year, and would like your input if
you plan to attend. I'm  looking for some classical music players who
will bring a solo or two  (and recorded accompaniment) to participate
in this seminar, described  below.

I'm also looking for at least one each of chromatic, chord and  bass,
to play an arrangement of a part of Beethoven's 7th Symphony.  Each
part of this arrangement is modular; in other words, you'd only  have
to learn about 16 bars of music to be able to put this together.  The
music is easy, key of A minor, and s-l-o-w. I can send parts  out
ahead of time. If interested, contact me off-list: tombaehr  AT
verizon DOT net.

CLASSICAL MUSIC FOR THE  NON-VIRTUOSO

Most of the recorded classical music Iâve heard on  chromatic
harmonica has been way beyond my capabilities. They tend to  contain
showpieces for virtuoso players. But I love classical music,  and have
found several pieces that work for me.

Perhaps you  have, too, Iâd like us to share our experiences and our
music, by  playing for each other and by playing a short, simple piece
or two  together. Along the way, we can share techniques, sources for
music,  information on venues, and accompaniment options, and anything
else  that comes up.

Most importantly, weâll explore style considerations in a  discussion
that compares and contrasts the approach to classical music  to other
genres, such as standards, jazz and rock.

Although  itâs not required for this seminar, youâre welcome to bring
music and  CD accompaniment to share with the other participants. Iâll
try to  make this a hands-on workshop, so your input will be a real
plus. Itâs  also okay just to come and listen.

A novice on harmonica,Tom Baehr loves  to play mostly classical music,
reflecting his musical training. He  relies on his half-century
background on flute for  inspiration."