pay the balance owing (about $Aus30.00)
Yeah, right.
RD

>>> <brianstear@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 21/06/2007 15:37:10 >>>
From: Captron100@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Pre-war harmonicas
To: Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: brianstear@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

In a message dated 6/16/2007 9:46:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, brian

writes:

Can someone help me to understand why a majority of the 10-hole
pre-war
harmonicas ( Echo-Richter tuned, Orkester, etc ) I buy off Ebay play
sooooooosmooth, incredibly easy ( next to no air to activate the reeds
), and  sound full
and strong? It's like night and day, even compared to today's Special
20's.
If I could buy harmonicas like this all the time, I'd gladly pay  twice
the
price of a regular one!

Brian, i don't think i've ever seen a pre-war harp, but in my
experience,
the reason harps play well is due to good manufacturing - close
tolerances,
airtightness of the harp, and proper gapping.
  My questions to u - how do u know that they are pre-war harps?   And
aren't
u afraid that the harps u buy on ebay would be over-played and that
they
would need tuning?  Or don't u care, because they are collector's
items?  Just
curious.
ron - FL Keys

Ron, I'm basically basing my definition of a pre-war harmonica on the
the fact it has a 6-sided star in the middle on the back. I actually
didn't buy these harmonicas soley for playing purposes. I do harmonica
workshops in the schools, and I buy them for the kids to look at so they
can marvel at what I present to them as the " tin sandwich ".
 But that doesn't take away from the fact that some of them play great!
They help to bring out the nuances of my playing.   Brian