Subject: Re: [Harp-L] you tube vids

Hey Bob:

..... then you must not have ever attended one of the harmonica
Conventions...because what you see in those videos is actually just a smaller  version of
what happens in any one of the many seminars/shows I've attended at  SPAH and
Buckeye.  That's how the Hotels are set up...terrible fluorescent  lighting in
the ceiling...the people putting on the shows and seminars having to  work
with what they're given...for the record I always end up wearing my shades  to
these things <G>

 Actually...this particular seminar looked more "lively" than most  ...there
were some heads bobbing, lol...though I don't disagree with the  "whitebread"
aspect of it....that's just how the seminars play  out.

....who do you think makes up the bulk of the attendees at SPAH and the
other conventions?  Jason & Chris did a great job by having a rocking  band behind
the playing...so at least had some great driving  sound...but  it was billed
as "Rockers in the Rockies" so geared for rock music...and they  were there to
teach, not put on a show.  That's  the difference....

At Buckeye, 2007, the best effort I've seen so far to make more of a
"nightclub" setting was done for the late-night Jazz "Cabaret" ... round  tables with
tablecloths and candles, with the 4-piece jazz backup ensemble  on stage.
For my personal tastes I would prefer the participants not  having to go up
onstage to front the group...since that's far too  nerve-wracking and heavy for
me...thinking it could be made more "intimate"  and night club'by...with
judicious use of microphones.  But it didn't  take away from my enjoyment of the
people who did play, though it was much too  intimidating for me to go up there.
Still, it was a major improvement over  the glaring fluorescent lighting we're
all so used to.

I would have liked to see more of the participants "dancing" in their  seats
at the Rockies Seminar, though..the way I'd have been doing were I in
attendance ;) (your obligatory "wimmens").

...and they DID take it out to a Blues club the first night from what I
understand....

Elizabeth

"Message: 6