[Harp-L] Re: Harp-L Digest, Vol 46, Issue 50

I agree the songs  are in the key of C, I prefer playing Cissy Strut in G, it
sounds a bit more  funky to me, just my preference. I did it at the
Masterclass show of Dave  Barrett's in 2000. Great song. Lee Oskar's Low Rider and
Slipping into Darkness  are great tunes to learn, with distinctive lines and great
grooves, everyone  knows them, and I have always gotten an immediate response
playing those. Sure  you can say, here's a Little Walter song called Juke,
and only the true harp  players in the audience know what you are really doing.
Another War that is hot  is called Galaxy, Lee is playing in third position
with a C harp if you ever  hear it. Great line, as he and the sax player were
always locked dead on. I  believe the sax player was killed many years ago of
the original War. Sorry for  forgetting his name, but Lee is still doing his
thing with "The Original Low  Riders".   Go to leeoskar.com for a great website
and hear the songs.  The slipping into darkness riffs can be used in many
different applications. It  gets you out of the 1 4 5 rut. Adam is a great player,
never got to play with  him, only met him at the show I did at the Chicago
Blues in NYC in 2001, opening  for James Cotton with my friend, guitar genius and
Robert Johnson efficinado,  Rocky Lawrence. Whoever has the CD I sent out
from that show live, it was a  blast. As I gear up for this next full knee
replacement in Sept., I am working  hard at getting back my wind, the past two years
were brutal and I could hardly  play. Dave Barrett has graciously invited me
to his Masterclass next year, so  providing all goes well physically, I will
be looking forward to meeting so many  of my customers and faithful supporters
face to face. It sounds llike it will be  very informal, so I will be breaking
down Sonny's style and answering many Q  & A's, having fun. I'll be having a
blast this Friday, my father has been a  big band leader for 70 years, Pat
Dorn Orchestra, played for 4 presidents, and I  will get a chance to do Boogie
Woogie with 16 horns behind me. God it is so much  fun to hear that push behind
you, all you need to do is play with lots of space,  as they fill up the
entire space you leave. You don't have to play through every  verse. Less is Best.