Re: [Harp-L] Fwd: middle eastern tuning

I remember Howard Levy describing a middle eastern tour he did with
Rabih Abou Khalil. He said he did a lot of playing where the main note
was a bent note. That way when he did pitch-based vibrato, the pitch
wobbled UP instead of down in pitch, which accorded with the type of
vibrato used by middle eastern signers - when he did that they felt he
"got" their music.

Howard never uses anything but a standard-tuned diatonic in equal
temperament. But by using a position that relied on bent notes (Db or
Ab on a C-harp might be examples, though that comes from me and not
from him) he was able to place his instrument in a microtonal zone.

Winslow