Re: Re: [Harp-L] re: half-valving, big band tuning & Liz Reed
- To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: Re: [Harp-L] re: half-valving, big band tuning & Liz Reed
- From: "Chesper Nevins" <chespernevins@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 10:24:07 -0400
- Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; b=P4puILqRCgIKOD59JbtsxC6ODxRziYnt6vty4GamcVcQMvQH1NmmgCskaj9o+rKkDphujORyUfwph8UMl0EkSEZrsXe+QrxhKF5G/f3bBC4HIw7/wh4ehZOese/tLgCOp+hSUp5SLAc0vXppZPTeiyubakQkH/NVDzeSSgzCJ/I=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; b=eV3dAfJ26KcJAm1aR3NJCoE+OPzzgNqYn/Laapb1fadLPLsYqVpPnaO0psyuOSqdi1JoF27+Jsr95B0R6yaw90Av71ZNk9zgJKXmmfNKCWOBcuv/m4XTVG7k/fyuhKajP6llZe+LoldNxpEYqO3jVK4IgvKIWEU0xRFRzQNHK+Y=
- In-reply-to: <f4tvr5+9jr9@eGroups.com>
- References: <f4tvr5+9jr9@eGroups.com>
I first heard of Ed Coogan on Brendan's site.
I read that he played dimi tuned diatonics and that caught my attention.
At the same time I was listening to Brendan's CX10 demo of a slide-blues-harp.
I put those ideas together and my imagination really lit up thinking
of the possibilities of a "dimi tuned slide diatonic" - or - a "dimi
tuned half valved chromatic".
Since then, I have had the pleasure of hearing some of Ed's
dimi-diatonic recordings. (I wish they were posted somewhere on the
web.) They're a great document of what can be done on the dimi
In looking at Ed's tuning:
Blow: A C E G
Draw: B D F# A
It looks like it has the same advantages of the dimi tuning in that
each hole has the spacing of a whole step for bending purposes. But
it seems like it has the advantage of being more diatonic than the
dimi, and giving more useful chords than just a diminished chord all
the time! (Need the slide for the Eb, though?)
If I wasn't so into the dimi chrom, I'd give it a try.
I hope I can hear Ed in person some day, or at least some recordings
on this new tuning. I think he is an innovator!
Oh, PS. Ed, does the slide-in position go flat or sharp?
See the website I put together for Bill Romel:
<a href="http://harmonica-workshop.com/index.html">Bill Romel's
This archive was generated by a fusion of
Pipermail 0.09 (Mailman edition) and