Re: Melody Maker tuning (was: [Harp-L] (no subject))

Daniel Bernard wrote:
> > Lee Oskar is a single note kind of guy.  Yet I think he
> > really stepped on it when he decided to put pure equal
> > temperament on his Melody Makers.  They have the worst
> > chords of any harmonica going.  He doesn't recommend them
> > for the blues.  Yet the Melody Maker format will play more
> > consonantly in just intonation than a standard Richter tuned
> > format in just intonation.

Lee's recent recording and performances include a lot of chording as well as single notes. Beyond that, I disagree that the Melody Maker has the "worst chords of any harmonica going."

Rather than argue the point here, I suggest that interested parties go to http://broadjam.com/rhunter and listen to my recording of "Big 17." This is a solo harmonica piece, with no overdubs, played on a stock Lee Oskar Melody Maker in 2nd position. I think those chords sound somewhere between pretty good and crazy good, especially the big Major 7+9 chord that ends the piece.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
Latest mp3s always at http://broadjam.com/rhunter