Re: [Harp-L] (no subject)

Daniel Bernard wrote:
> Lee Oskar is a single note kind of guy.  Yet I think he
> really stepped on it when he decided to put pure equal
> temperament on his Melody Makers.  They have the worst
> chords of any harmonica going.  He doesn't recommend them
> for the blues.  Yet the Melody Maker format will play more
> consonantly in just intonation than a standard Richter tuned
> format in just intonation.

There are a lot of reasons why someone might prefer equal
temperament on a Melody Maker as well as any other tuning.  Yes, it
will render chords with some dissonance, but if you play single
notes alongside other chromatic instruments like keyboard, horns or
even guitar, many times just intonation will create harsh overtones
with them.

Likewise, if you play in many different positions, equally tempered
intonation can cause some key notes to be significantly off from
other instruments.  For example, in standard tuning, justly intoned,
the 7th note of the mixolydian scale is flatted by some 26 cents
from equal temperament in order to make a smooth G7 chord on draws 2-
3-4-5.  However, if you play in 12th position, the draw 5 is a tonic
note, potentially more than a quarter tone flat from other
instruments.

There are a lot of great reasons to play on a justly intoned
instrument, but there's no one solution to every problem.  Everyone
has to choose an intonation that fits their style and their material
and their situation (accompanyment, consonance with other players,
etc.).

-tim