[Harp-L] Re:

On 6/14/07, Daniel Bernard <danielbernard13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I say:

The obvious way to compare which one is high and which one is low would be in comparison to one another. The Marine Band Octave is listed as C,G! There is the possibility that this is in violation of Hohner's convention of listing the low first and the high last. If that is true, the G,C Concert Tuned are exactly the same as the G,C AutoValve minus the valves. On the other hand, if C,G is indeed listed as low to high, the Concert Tuned C is lower than the AutoValve C, or the Concert Tuned G is higher than the Autovalve G. Obviously I want the highest one, be it Concert Tuned, or AutoValve.

Hi Daniel. Well, you got us there. Other than the table that I sent you, there is no convention here at Hohner for comparing the keys of the Auto Valve and other octave harmonicas one with another. We have one C octave harmonica and one G octave harmonica. There is no such thing like a low C octave tuning or a high G octave tuning, so this has never been a problem before. But it gets even more complicated if you take other octave harmonicas which come in different lengths.

But we can change that for the next print of the catalog. BTW, the catalog
for 2007 has also been improved in that regard, I reordered and specified
more acurately the keys of the SBS harmonicas.

In any case, the Marine Band Octave and the Auto Valve Harp are comparable
instruments, tuned the same way, the difference being the presence of
windsavers.

All the best,
Fernando