Re: [Harp-L] Re: in memory of elizabeth reed

As a guitarist-come-lately-to-harp, what helps me with not getting in
the way of the song/jam/inarticulable dynamic... is to think of lead
and rhythm harp and to further decide which one it is I'm
doing/going-to-do.
I've begun to listen for my twisted notion of what I think of as
"rhythm harp" in other people's music and I'm about to decide that
there is, as with the guitar, just as subtle of an "art" with finding
that one softly-blown/drawn, sustained note/chord/"diad"?? in the name
of playing rhythm harp as there is trying to craft a captivating solo
in the guise of "lead harp".
It's funny, because when the question about Liz Reed came up, as I
tried to imagine what I'd do if playing that one, I was thinking those
long, definitely-in-the-background sustained notes, probably rough
parallels to the guitarist's blurring his attack with either his
volume knob or a pedal and I never got to the place in my mind where
I'd be doing a solo.
On the other hand, if I were called upon to play some passage out in
front in that song, because of a lack of chops, I'd probably want to
steal some of the organ's thunder and never really lapse into a
genuine lead harp solo.
It's all just my imagination; (Never played that one either!!) I never
said it made sense,
Brad Trainham