Re: [Harp-L] in memory of elizabeth reed

Garry Hodgson wrote:
<...does anyone have any thoughts on how best to play this? position, <key, etc?
<what would really help is if you could explain your thought process, <i.e. how would
<you analyze this song to decide on the approach you recommend?

This song basically has two parts--the head section, which is pretty complex harmonically and melodically, and the jam section, which takes place over two chords.

For the jam section, 3rd position on a G harp would probably work. The song is in A minor overall, and the jam is over A minor and D6 chords. A Dorian minor harp in A minor or a Natural Minor in A would work too, but you'd have to careful about the flatted sixth on the Natural Minor. (But you could play an E natural minor in 1st position and it would work fine.) A C Chromatic played in A minor, or a G chromatic played in 3rd position, would work very well too.

For the head section, you will either have to use multiple diatonic harps, or play some wickedly chromatic lines on a diatonic, or use a chromatic. Some time ago I bought a copy of the "The Allman Brothers Band--The Definitive Collection for Guitar", volume 2, , which contains not only the heads for their songs, but transcriptions of the guitar solos as well. The head for "Elizabeth Reed" traverses two or three minor keys, and it's nothing I'd care to try on a diatonic.

You can work the notes out by ear, but it might take a while--it's roughly the level of complexity of a Charlie Parker solo. To save time, I would suggest buying a copy of the Allman Brothers songbook referenced above, and either match the notes of the melody to particular diatonics, bar by bar, or use a chromatic. The latter is what I'd really recommend. There's plenty of precedent for playing melodies on chromatic and solos on diatonic--Little Walter did it all the time. In this case, given that the solo is in A minor, a G chromatic might be just the thing.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com
latest mp3s always at http://broadjam.com/rhutner