[Harp-L] Sao Paulo Harp/Blues?

Bill,

What travel warnings? I lived in São Paulo for two years and never had a problem. There's over 20 million people there, so I'm sure you can have any type of experience you want. It's the second or third largest city in the world. Where's your hotel? How long are you staying for? Contact me offlist.

Many of the more well known harmonica players live in Rio. Curitiba (In Paraná) has an orchestra, and a lot of players, that's about 6 hours away from SP. It's very clean and safe there. Not much else going on there, though.

Anyway, check out : http://www.clayberdesouza.com.br/index.asp

Last I heard, he lives in SP, and maybe speaks some English. I knew some other guys there, Omar Izar, and some other cat I hung out with who worked at Hering for over 30 years. I'm not sure they're bilingual.

Dude, I know that São Paulo is not the most physically attractive of cities, but take some risks, hit Avenida Paulista, where the museums and parks are. If you're single, try and talk to some women, you'll probably get laid. Don't hide under your bed. Brazil is one of the most amazing countries in the world, and although Rio is geographically more beautiful, it is incredibly screwed up. Over half of all of the industry (and money) in Brazil is in the state of São Paulo. It is the cultural capital of the country and it would be a crying shame if you didn't spend every available minute trying to soak up some of that good stuff!

Madcat tours down there a lot with a guy from Rio, ask him about São Paulo. I haven't lived there (or returned) for years, so I'm sure there's a lot of new players on the scene. Google "Blues Clubs São Paulo", you'll find something nice...

Have a great time!

Damien

Damien Masterson http://www.damienmasterson.com or enter my name in any search engine http://www.myspace.com/damienmastersonmusic http://cdbaby.com/all/damienzm 415 305 7138 dzm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Damien Endorses Hohner Harmonicas and Audix Microphones