Re: [Harp-L] Will Scarlett-5th Position

moandabluz@xxxxxxx wrote
"Anybody got any tips that might get me started?"

Steve,
Winslow gave excellent and comprehensive advice on 5th pos practice.
What I found useful for me was just working the middle octave blues scale,
playing these up (and back down)

5+
5+ 6+
5+ 6+ 6
5+ 6+ 6 7
5+ 6+ 6 7 8
5+ 6+ 6 7 8 8+

(where + is blow and non-plussed is draw)
Expand by tacking on the 4 draw and 3 draw at the bottom and 9 blow on top.

For a well-versed country player like yourself, you may recognize this as
the 2nd position major pentatonic pattern, so it may come as 2nd nature.
Just remember in 5th to get back to your root(s) - 5 blow (and 2 blow and 8
blow).

Fred S