[Harp-L] 5th Position...

Steve Webb you made my day! You have always had such nice things to say
about my harp playing. I appreciate those kind words more than you know. On
this list so many incredible talents get mentioned, when I see mine it makes
me feel both proud and embarrassed. I know I can't hold a candle to most of
the people that get discussed on here. Anyway, thanks Steve, I hope all is
well in your world.

Now about 5th:  I accidentally discovered it a few years ago. Most of my
accomplishments are a result of experimentation and trial and error. The key
for me was that 5 blow note as the starting point. When I learn new
positions I try to play fewer notes and stick with the major tones that work
in the key you are trying to play in. After leaning heavy on the "key" notes
you can stat to venture in both directions. The ears tell no lies. The more
you experiment and have expectations for what you want to hear the more you
end up landing in safe places. I am working more on 3rd as of late because I
really haven't done much with that position. Now as I embark on my solo
project I know that I need to add as many colors to my palette as possible.
That is the real joy of discovering positions. They bust the "ruts" up and
create unfamiliar sounds. The kiss of death to me is being too predictable
and typical sounding. I am starting to do more and more harp switching when
I play out. Over all I am a cross harp guy but if I take the middle of the
song I am playing and switch to third or fifth even just for a few bars it
takes the "predictability" out of the picture. "Wow" , what was that, and
then before you know it you get back to the major "cross" comfort zone and
it sounds fresh again. Same thing with using low/high harps or minor
tunings. I love starting out a tune with my low F and then switching to the
high F for a bit before going back. Especially for playing in Am in 5th.
When you don't have a lot of 5th position licks in your wheelhouse at least
you can change the tonal quality by switching from the low to high harps. I
am also finding that licks I have grown to like in 5th I now will use in
2nd. Licks that I didn't play in 2nd before!

One other thing I have been doing lately is using my Lee Oskar minor harps
to help me play in 5th and 3rd. You blow in cross on a natural minor harp
and it sounds killer. When you find a lick or sound you like then you pick
up the appropriate standard harp and try to duplicate in 5th or 3rd.

I just booked my flight for Milwaukee. How bout an early SPAH roll
call???????

Warren Bee / Harptime