Re: [Harp-L] Will Scarlett-5th Position

5th is almost the same as playing in 2nd. The keynote is 2 blow (or 5
blow, 8 blow) The blues scale in 5th is:
(1D)   2B 3B 3B&bend  3D 4D  5B  6B   6D  7D  8D  8B  9B  10D
10B&bend
( D )     E   G   A              B   D    E    G     A    B    D    E
 G     A       B

....this example assumes a C harp.Note that I've put the draw 1 in
brackets, just because it is below the keynote on hole 2B.  The natural
chording (no bends etc.) causes this position to suit tunes that have a
minor chord for both the root (I) chord and the subdominant (IV) chord;
or in other words the first two chords in a blues. The dominant (V) is
usually....er dominant...a major chord (this is where my theory gets a
bit uncertain!)
It's a 'sweeter' sound than 3rd, and while it doesn't suit everything,
it sounds great in the right place and is easy to play.
Hope this helps.
RD

PS Dunno why Chris told you to start 3rd on draw 6, which plays the 5th
of the 3rd position scale. It must be one of those groovy teaching
techniques he's picked up off the Iceman.

>>> <moandabluz@xxxxxxx> 5/06/2007 15:16:21 >>>

I think it was our friend Warren Bee who talked about playing in fifth

position a while back. Since I admire Mr. Bee's playing so much, I've
been trying to figure it out a little, but I'm very positionally
challenged. Anybody got any tips that might get me started?  Funny
sometimes how just one little thing can help. Once at a Buckeye
Festival, I was trying to understand third position and Chris Michalek

told me to just start on 6 draw and go from there. Still now whenever I

try to use third position, that pops in my head and it does work.
Any help would be appreciated.
Steve "Moandabluz" Webb
still an old fool for the harp in Minnesota