Re: [Harp-L] Re: Stevie Wonder's Harmonica

Danny -

The dailymotion video you are commenting on is different from the
Youtube video that Joe's comment addresses.

The dailymotion clip has Stevie accompanying another singer on Isn't
She Lovely, played in F (instead of E) on what I'm fairly sure is a
Super 64X.

But Joe was writing before that video link was posted. He was referring
to a video posted on Youtube of "True to your Heart" from the film
Mulan:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyt6Emkv3iY

In this one Stevie is playing a completely different instrument. It has
an opaque, dark-colored comb and silver colored covers. You can hear
Stevie early in the song, then he appears with the harp at about 1:25,
first playing and then singing.

Stop the video at about 1:23 as he's putting the harp up to his mouth
and you'll notice two things:

1) The dark color of the comb looks almost like the gray of stainless
steel.

2) The covers, while they extend to the end of the comb the way a Super
64 cover does, they DO NOT taper downward toward the comb. The top
cover  presents an almost flat plane parallel to the comb.

Clearly not a Hohner.

The tune begins in Bb, and it sounds to me like a C instrument from the
slide ornaments and legatos (By the way, listen closely to the intro
and you'll hear Stevie play the Bb reed bent down to Ab, then release
it to Bb again).

Then at 2:27 it changes to the key of B-natural and Stevie starts to
solo again, but it's not stuff that plays gratefully in B on a C
instrument. It's the sort of thing that might work in A, D, G, C, F,
Bb, or even Eb, but not B. To me it sounds like C position - all the
slide moves fit, and he plays a fluter-tongued high tonic note,
something most easily done on a blow note.

The video shows him with an identical-looking instrument, but that's
just what they shot for display. Either he's playing an instrument in
some other key or they could have shifted the instrumental track up
from B to C to record his solo, then shifted track and harmonica back
down a semitone. This is something Stevie has done before, on Chaka
Khan's "I Feel For you" where the track was in F# and it was shifted to
allow him to play in either F or G position, I forget which now, but
you can tell from the way he uses the high D.

Winslow

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/stevie%2Bwonder/video/x1105h_stevie-wonder-et-jean-luc