Re: [Harp-L] Comment about appreciation of art (music)

B Boggs wrote:
> Before my brother's death, he had produced some incredible
> paintings and had been gaining attention for his art (abstract/
> impressionistic), particularly in oil and acrylics.
> I asked him once about what a particular painting "meant"; what
> was he thinking.
> His reply was, " Do you like it, or not?"
> I paused and honestly answered yes.
> He just said, "That's all you need to know."
> He was not being a smart-ass. I will avoid using the "Z" word.

Music, in a way is like a joke: if you have to explain it for your
audience to understand it, then it's not working.  That said,
experience with a broader spectrum of music can make it easier to
appreciate things that are farther from the "beaten path" of popular
music (or whatever you're focussed on).  Having a wider range of
musical experience can open your ears to things you might have
previously considered only noise.  Having an intellectual appreciation
of music opens the door, but in the end it has to reach you
emotionally.

-tim