[Harp-L] Cutting Contests-POTENTIALLY Healthy Method

Hey Folks--

  I often compare myself to other harp players.  In my head, it's kinda like I'm running my own cutting contest in my head.  I'm thinking, "Yeah I can do that . . . oh, that was cool . . . I wonder if I can do that . . . I wonder if that lick sounds as good/stupid when I do it. . . ."

  This can get to be obsessive if I stew over a better player and berate myself for too long.

  I do try to keep my cutting activities internal.  I can't say that I always do.  I am provoked from time to time.  I do get overzealous from time to time (turf-crazy, macho BS, misreading my peers, etc.).  But I fight these natural tendencies--bad relics from athletics.

  If an artist creates a beautiful clay sculpture (to some) should I smash it with my bronze sculpture.  Does that make my bronze sculpture more  beautiful than the clay sculpture?  Or, does the act make my sculpture into a hideous monstrosity?

  Some will say that this makes me weak.  Some will say that I may be hiding my shortcomings.  If someone shows up to my gig looking for a fight, it's on.  However, I try very very hard not to initiate such a discourse.

  I am human and I don't always live up to my own ideals.  However, I do believe that a healthy method of cutting does exist.  Comparing yourself to another player can allow you to pat yourself on the back and kick yourself in the pants all at the same time.  Believe me, my arm's not broken and my seat is quite sore.

  Thank for the Ears,

  Will