[Harp-L] DIY Amphenol mod to Green Bullet - advice please

I've seen custom mics with mod done and I was
wondering how easy it would be. Do I need to drill the casing? Adapt the
connector somehow before fitting it? I know Keith Graham at the JT-30 store
has the part I need, I'd just like some advice from anyone who's done this
before.

Thanks

Jim

Jim - No rocket science here.

To install the amphenol (aka Switchcrft) screw on connector, you'll need to do the following 10 steps:

1) Remove the guts
2) Bore the cable hole out to the proper size for threading in the connector. These are 3/8-32 threads. The proper hole size is drilled with a "Q" letter drill. Use caution - the metal is soft and will grab your drill bit at every opportunity. Think about how you're going to hold the shell while you do this.
3) Tap the threads. Be extremely careful to start the tap straight!
4) Get a Switchcraft 2501MP connector. Turn off the knurled portion above the threads so that the connector will seat all the way. (The knurled portion is for press-fit operations that won't work here.)
5) Install the connector and loctite it.
6) Drill and tap a hole in one of the sprue bosses inside the mic to receive a ground lug and screw. I use 4-40 here. Don't drill through the shell!
7) Install the ground wire and lug
8) Solder a lead into the screw-on connector.
9) Connect up to your element and reinstall element and grill
10) Go Blow!

But if you don't have what you need you're going to spend a fair bit on tooling and of course there's much more chance of screwing up your 1st one than there is your 20th. The alternative is to pay one of the fine mic modders on this board - of which there are several. We have made the investments already in proper tools and have the experience of several identical operations before getting to your mic. Ok, I'll admit it - this message is also self-promotional. I do this particular job for $35. You can learn more about it at http:// www.blowsmeaway.com

Cheers

/Greg