[Harp-L] Re: B maj triad (WAS overdraws)

Thanx for the suggestions George. I've been overbending since about
1979, and I'm pretty sure my technique is fairly good. Nevertheless, I
don't know anyone who overbends here (Australia)  - except maybe Ian
Collard and you've got to be quick to catch him at it , eh Ian? - and
any advice is appreciated. Unfortunately the airfares for the 15,000
mile trip represents a bit of an obstacle to attending any of the
workshops you reccommend.
I think it's time for some serious attention to my customising skills,
and yes indeed, the acquisition of some custom harps when the domestic
coffers look full enough.
Cheers,
Rick Dempster

>>> George Brooks <gbrooksvt@xxxxxxxxxxx> 28/07/2007 8:15:59 >>>

I would, first of all, recommend getting a custom harp set up for OB/OD

by someone, like Jimmy Gordon, who really knows what he is doing.  Even

if your ultimate goal is to work on your own harps, it's good to have a

benchmark.  Also, your musical technique can grow without waiting for
your customizing chops to improve.

I don't have Rupert Oysler's DVD, and so cannot comment.

I have some thoughts on practicing arpeggiation of the B maj triad on a

C harp (3 draw, 4 OB, 5 OB):

1.  Practice ~slowly~, cleanly articulating the attack of every note.

I use the glottal stop articulation (like a silent cough).

2.  Practice arpeggiating the Bm triad first (3 draw, 4 draw, 5 OB)
since it's much easier, then proceed to the major triad.

3.  Practice the B maj triad an octave up (7 draw, 8 blow bend, 9 blow

bend).

4.  In all cases, try to maintain continuity at the breath direction
change so that at no point are you dead in the water.  Think of the way

a violinist maintains the continuity of a line while changing bow
direction or the way the top of a crashing wave advances while the
bottom of the wave is already beginning to recede.

5.  Come to SPAH and sit down with Michael Peloquin or Jason Ricci or
me.

6.  Come to Rockers In The Rockies this October and and sit down with
Chris Michalek or Michael Peloquin or Jason Ricci or me.

George

p.s. I renamed the thread because there are no overdraws in the B maj
triad, only overblows.