Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica cutting contest at SPAH

"Message: 8
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 06:20:26 EDT
From:  IcemanLE@xxxxxxx
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

In the "old old days", the Thur night blues show was  an act or two followed
by an open electric jam. This was transformed  into the more substantial Thur

night Blues Show, with more attention  paid to performance by the pros. It
was
a  great concept - (witness the  legendary 98 Blues Blow Off, it that
recording
is  still  available).

The acoustic late night blues jam took the place of this  electric blues  jam.

Harmonica Players have a lot of "gunslinger"  attitude, for some strange
reason. I don't believe you will be able to  have a "Not Cutting Heads
Harmonica
Blow Off" at SPAH without this  negative energy creeping into the
proceedings.
Already, some of the  comments made indicate "gunslinger".

The Iceman"

... ....IF this is a reference in any way to Jason Ricci's Third  Annual SPAH
Harp Blow-Off, you couldn't be further off track or more  wrong.  Those have
been amazingly great musical evenings filled  with terrific playing and
camaraderie, with some of the very best  harmonica players ever to show up at SPAH
and for me, SPAH wouldn't be anywhere  as much fun without them.  The players
Jason has chosen to  participate in his Blow-offs have, without fail...given
the audience an  absolutely wonderful lead in to the next morning's SPAH
festivities.

This year he might even have a couple of players who wouldn't usually play
at a "Blues" harp-Blow-Off.  There has not been the merest hint of  "negative
energy" at any one of them.  These players all admire and like  each other, and
happily share the stage with mutual respect. Have  you been to a single one?
>From my understanding it's been many  years since you last attended a SPAH
convention, so why comment  negatively?

None of the comments made so far indicated "gunslinger" attitude,
actually...contrary to your statement.  As a matter of fact each person  went out of
their way to make sure they did NOT want it to end up in a  "cutting
head"/competitive/judgmental/ contest, if you were talking about  Phil's suggestion, even
Phil himself, who made sure we knew he  was talking about a "friendly"
competition, not a harp blow-off. There is  only one Harp Blow-off, and that is the
one held by Jason Ricci  Annually on the Tuesday night before SPAH.

Elizabeth