Re: [Harp-L] Cutting Contest - no no no

Maybe I should have used the word Showcase. Perhaps a Showcase gives a better
idea of what I was talking about. The idea is to give a large number of
players the opportunity to Show what they can do. Showcase certainly sounds nicer
that that vicious term "cutting contest."

I merely said I witnessed a friendly "cutting contest" among ragtime piano
players at the historic Dearborn Michigan Greenfield Village last weekend and
thought the same kind of thing might be fun for SPAH.

And -- get this -- there is NOT a cutting contest for SPAH. It was only a
suggestion. There never was one scheduled.

Here is the WikipediA (the free encyclopedia) entry that offers one definit
ion. Stride piano was a style of playing that followed ragtime piano and was
called stride because the left hand appears to stride from lower octaves to mid
keyboard.

"Cutting contests were a form of musical battles between the various stride
pianoplayers of Harlem in theearly 1920s. The players would cut into the play
of the other player and as such try to show who was the better performer. In
this they have much in common with the later emerging rap battles.
 The contests were usually held at parties in the homes of locals of Harlem.
The entrance money was used to pay off the rent. These parties were therefore
also known as "rent parties".
 Famous contestants include James P. Johnson and his greatest rival Willie
"The Lion" Smith. They actually had so much respect for each other that their
contests usually ended in a draw and both almost never 'cut' into the other's
play."

 Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL
at http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour