Subject: Re: [Harp-L] custom Chromonica2 DL with stainless steel comb

Hello Tom and Vern,

the most surprised person regards the sound changes of the 'steel 270' is
me!
When first we began making designer harmonicas, there was never an idea to
customize the plates or influence the sound, not at all. Indeed I was
extremely sceptical regarding the influence of different materials on the
sound, but during my time working at Seydel, I learned that the shape and
choice of material could be used to design the sound of a harmonica, as in
fact it did when we created the Seydel Favorite Black, making it sound far
different than the Standard line, or Solist Pro Series.
Anyway, these opinions, (f.e. wood sounding 'warm' and plastic sounding
'artificial') was never my bag.

However, 'all' of my 270ties (based on the steel body by Vern), sound much
different when I use wooden covers. To my surprise the 'Metal Covered Steel'
already sounds very
different, very loud, more 'overtone-rich' when using this body!

>From my discussions with you, Vern, I learned of your opinions regarding
sound. However, with all due respect, whom should I trust? My ears and the
people listening to the 270 Steel, or the person who created the comb?

When starting out, I didn't have it in mind to create a different sounding
Chromatic, however, it does sound different, very different! It's
unbelievable and I KNOW it! It's so obvious even an untrained ear can hear
it distinctly.

The guy responsible for that, is Vern.
And he denies it.

Crazy world, isn't it?

Yours
Michael Timler from Harponline,
(with much respect and many thanks to Vern, who enables me to build and
further develop this wonderful harmonica!)