[Harp-L] Soaking Harps/Injured Egos/Literary waffle/delete

I think most of us who contribute to this list have probably ruffled
some feathers with the quickly typed, wisecracking post, myself
definitely included.
Harp-l is a like a big barroom with a whole lot of different
conversations taking place at once, with the distinct difference that
everybody can 'hear' every single word if they so wish.
I am uninterested in a lot of the conversation, and just hit the delete
button. For example, the mere mention of  bytes, ohms, herz, db, gigs
(except ones that pay & have a drinks rider) etc. will cause me to hit
'delete'. Likewise long winded discussions about artistic perception
etc. (unless it's mine)get the same treatment.
When I was a young chap, I was a dangerously serious train buff. One
day a fellow afflictee said to me "Oh Richard, you're one of those
dreadful ENGINE people!" He, you see, being interested primarily in
timetables, schedules and 'safeworking' (signals and operating
regulations) found my particular fetish shallow & boring.
We are all hunters, but everyone's idea of what constitutes 'big game'
is not the same. Just bear in mind that the jungle is just as important
as the lions & tigers.
For people who find stuff like the materials debate a bore, just bear
in mind that those of us who do care are genetically related to the
folks who actually invent, design and manufacture.
To the people (like me) who find the gearheads a bore, just bear in
mind that manufacturers need consumers, and the harmonica, in
particular, is very much a post-industrial revolution instrument that
requires factories and machinery to produce it.
On one hand the idyllic picture of the flute player going down to the
river and cutting his instrument from the reedbed is very appealing to
me.
On the other, I have to admit that my instrument can't really exist
without a lot of 'dark satanic mills'  heavy machinery, consumers &
capitalists etc. etc.
As my old Mum used to say, "It'd be a boring old world if we were all
the same, now, wouldn't it?". Too right Mum.
Let's all try to get along,what? ...and remember there's always the
delete button.

RD

>>> <BiscuitBoy714@xxxxxxx> 20/07/2007 6:56:31 >>>
I truly would like  to apologize for my bad manners last night. I made
comment that was uncalled  for and in bad taste. I had had a long day
but that is
no excuse to be  rude. My Momma brought me up better than that.
          Once again, I  apologize.

        Randy