[Harp-L] Re: Soaking harps / My Confession

Hurricane sez :

In dee daze when all you could get was a wooden comb :

Sure I soaked them , yeah , I confess I did it -- I plead the forum's mercy .

When the combs swelled and went bad I trimmed the swollen extruded wood parts beyond the reed plate with

..............a single edged razor

.....like a carpenter uses a planer ,

....yes I did it yes .

- - And - -

...then when the comb dried out and recessed below the brass plates

.... well ... uhhh ..

........ Yeah , Yeah ! I had a glass of water or two on stage with harps in them swelling up to allow the combs to swell out flush to the reed plates and tighten up the space between the plates and the wood to air tight madding perfection ...

...................but so did Butterfield , I'm not the only one who did it !

I also tossed the nails of the cover plates as well and ....

I drilled holes in them and through the comb :(

Thank God the reed plates had holes already in them in exactly the right place where the cover holes were I drilled , you can't blame me for that !

and  .. I - I - I  mounted them with machine threaded type magnetic phonograph record player cartridge bolts & nuts , I'm sorry I don't know what came over me .

If I needed ...I remounted the brass plates dumping the nails too for small machine type bolts and nuts  ....

......... I made it better than how I got it- -

......... doesn't that count huh ? ! WELL DOESN'T IT !

I'm sooooooooooo ashamed of my miserable self....... I am rebuked .

Heh heh .....But seriously folks ....

At first I never had an issue with old combs , plates and covers that were used and then re used . Rust not an issue here in the desert , maybe after 3 to 4 years or so yeah the covers got trashed but so what I had a box of spare parts replete with covers too .

I loved it ,

- - -  Till - - -

PLASTIC

Check the forums archives if more is needed to be said I don't do woodies no more , this September marks my 53rd year of playing harmonica .

Some folks like to spend their time on mechanical things like a luthier who makes guitars , I love these people , some spend there time on harmonica mechanical stuff that's cool too I love these people as well , we as a harmonica community need them .

Me ?

I like using my time playing and practicing my instrument . All the work I spent on woodies makes for a quick fixed on plastic harmonicas that need little attention compared to a woodie . The hours I spent in the past on mechanical harmonica comb work are now utilized on playing more music period .

To ALL you woodie guys I salute you , I know what you have to do to make them work . I know the sound is different from the plastic but not enough of a difference for me to go at it like in the old daze with woodies again .

And hot wax ....... That's for expensive cars I think

.........and reluctant bees . I don't wanna bee :)

Sincerely :

Hurricane Ramon

Aka :

Party_Man1@xxxxxxxxxx