Re: [Harp-L] Soaking harps

 I'm sure I have done this at some stage Steve. I've been playing nearly
forty years and done a lot of fiddling around with harps. However,
here's what I intend to do: I'll dig into my extensive harp boneyard
(whichof course,  is also my spare parts stor) and find an old, filthy,
PLASTIC combed harp (so the comb material won't be affected by being
moistened) and record myself playing it.
I will then clean it meticulously and record myself playing it again. I
might give it a day or so to dry out again after playing, as moisture
from breath (depending on atmospheric conditions at the time) can be
enough to swell the comb and improve the volume. ( I believe that if you
play a wooden harp often enough, you shouldn't need to soak it)
What I would like to do is make Mp3s of the results and post them
somewhere or other, but I can't guarantee that I'll get there as I am
not much of a computer/techno-head.
Sound like an interestingf experiment? If I can't supply you with
sound-files, I promise to report my findings honestly, and maybe even
get some second opinions. Give me awhile, as it might take me a little
while to get around to it.
Cheers,
RD

>>> "Steve Shaw" <moorcot@xxxxxxx> 18/07/2007 11:19:32 >>>
>Steve;
>            I post to this list to amuse myself when I feel the need.
>like yakking to people, and like nothing more than a good argument,
so
>don't take any of this too seriously.
> >RD

Same here.  Just try washing your harps and see!

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm