Re: [Harp-L] Soaking harps

Any kind of harp becomes louder the moment it is immersed in water.
Removing 'gunk' takes longer than this.
I repeat, it is because the water temporarily fills up any gaps,
especially the clearances between the reeds and slots.
It's more likely that cleaning out the 'gunk' would make the harp
leakier and therefore quieter.
I never really bother cleaning diatonics unless I happen to have the
thing apart and I can see layers of muck flaking away and threatening to
end up in my mouth or get caught in a reed.
If a wooden harp is played frequently the comb should remain moist
enough not to shrink and require dampening. The 'gunk', likewise,
usually only starts to flake off if the harp is left to dry out for long
enough.
Cleaning diatonics? Nice for people with that much time to spare......
RD

Fine in theory, but I'm talking about washing the harp, allowing it to dry and playing it, to find that it's brighter and more responsive. Please try it before dismissing what I'm saying! And explain to me how a harp, nicely set up when brand new (which is what I try to achieve), can possibly play better if the reeds, etc., are randomly plastered in dried-on muck. And it is random. We blow and suck. Blow, more muck, suck, less muck. Some reeds get more attacking than others. Hands up all those harp-players who find that all their holes are absolutely equally gunked-up!

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica
HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm

Win tickets to the sold out Live Earth concert!  http://liveearth.uk.msn.com