Re: [Harp-L] Soaking harps

Steel parts that can rust will rust more quickly the more you expose
them to moisture. This includes the mild steel rivets used to attach
the reeds to the reedplates and may include the covers - check the
underside for rust blossoms forming.

If you feel that soaking has merit, you might dab each rivet with a
protective coat of something that dries to a non-toxic finish, possibly

nail varnish or other plastic-based paintable substance (careful not to
let it clog the reed slot) and maybe coat the underside of the covers
in a similar fashion.

Additional parts on chromatics that can rust include the spring post on
270-style instruments and may extend to springs.

Winslow

I've never seen rust on my rivets but corrosion does occur on harps with covers that are not stainless steel (or brass). Hohner Echo harps are very prone to cover corrosion, but then I would never soak one of those anyway because of that fragile, unsealed wood comb. The edge of the cover where it meets the reedplate is a moisture trap in the Echo as in many other harps, but you won't trap any more moisture by washing them than you will by playing them, and at least it's clean moisture. I can't imagine washing any valved harp under the tap though I do clean my 270 slide by inverting the harp in a shallow dish of hot water and working the slide repeatedly. I read about sticky slides but I've never had one. The harp stays strictly upside down until dry. I'm obsessed with getting my harps dry before putting them away. A freshly-played harp put straight back into its box seems to be asking for trouble to me.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm

The next generation of Hotmail is here! http://www.newhotmail.co.uk/