[Harp-L] Subject: Video re bacteria on cellphones/ Harp? handwashing at Conventions...

Sorry:  this may be a bit "out there" to most people here, but I  couldn't
help but extrapolate cell phone usage to the points made in this video  (luckily
for me I only use mine when I travel to harmonica conventions  :)...

1)  They're small devices held to the mouth

2)  They're primarily plastic and metal

3)  One rarely cleans them after every use (unless you're Jason Ricci  and me
...and admittedly a tad OCD in your cleaning rituals)..then you tolerate
slings and barbs about being "germ phobic" <G>  - my separate  argument about
THAT issue is below...**

4)  They usually reside in leather/plastic/fabric cases and are  carried on
one's person (pocket, pocketbook) everywhere one goes....

...anyone heard the old joke about the person in the next toilet stall
talking...assuming it's to them...responding, then finally being told by the  other
person that they're having a conversation on their cell phone?....it's  left
un-mentioned in the video, but the Doctor does imply that IS where a lot of
the germs originate from.

Sufficient comparisons?  Watch the video.
_Click  here: Phones dirtier than toilets - AOL Video_
(http://video.aol.com/video/news-phones-dirtier-than-toilets/1941834)

 I HAD already planned to mention a fairly new product here I've been  using
as a non-wood body harmonica (and case) spritz (bought at the  supermarket):

Clorox ANYWHERE Hard Surface Daily Sanitizing Spray (it's in an opaque pale
blue bottle)..."kills 99.9% of bacteria on hard non-porous surfaces...Gentle
enough to use around kids, pets and food, No harsh fumes, Leaves no harmful
residue, No rinsing necessary, Color safe".  Disclaimer...I've no  connection
to the Company...just an extremely satisfied customer (and pet  owner).

....Alternately, I use Household Surface Wipes, no name brand,  I buy
Kirkland's Signature Lemon scented ones...they work for everything  where a spray
can't be used or isn't convenient..... buy those at Sam's  Club...

**The argument is constantly promulgated about the "old days when people
never worried about bacteria and germs".  Okay.  Fair point.  My  idea of that,
is:

 1) people really didn't live half as long as they do today, and germs
probably DID kill a lot more people than we know about, not having the means to
trace outbreaks, pre- CDC....

2)  Ignorance "isn't" bliss (imho).

3)  With Air travel today making it easy to walk down "any" Main  Street USA
the day after having just come from any third world country where  diseases
such as TB still have not yet been eradicated...comparisons with "the  good old
days" become moot, (in my humble opinion, of course).  I doubt any  of our
parents and grandparents had ever imagined such a thing as "flesh-eating
diseases" either.

(I might explain that a friend's husband died a few years ago after routine
heart by-pass surgery from a devastating bacteria introduced during
surgery...not caught by the doctors/hospital, and subsequent symptoms ignored  until
much too late to save his life).

Not trying to be a scare-monger...just that simple and easy precautions
...not only for one's cell phone, but for harmonicas...can go a LONG way to
keeping specific bacteria and germs at bay, as much as is feasible.  No one
expects miracles...as you'll see in the video, there were so many different  levels
of contamination on the phones tested.  But  perhaps help stop  mass outbreaks
of summer food poisoning as well  - just heard of  another one at an outdoor
Music festival.

  And bottom line...for Pete's sake...everyone by now should know that  it's
de rigeur to wash one's hands for 2 - 3 minutes (no matter how big a  rush one
might be in) before exiting a bathroom.  I still see  people not bothering
and unfortunately have become aware of it at  Conventions.  These Hotels have
automatic faucets, and soap dispensers  taking all the "work" out of washing
one's hands..so just how lazy can a  person get?  There is also a waterless hand
cleanser product...bottle  is small and portable.   A lot of us, just by the
nature of the group  playing DO end up handing our harps around to others, I've
watched people  exchange harmonicas all the time...so please do your fellow
harpists a big  favour...

Elizabeth